Friday, December 2, 2011

1993 Ford Ranger 4 cyl. with 89,000 miles and rear anti-lock brakes?

I just bought a 1993 Ford Ranger. I decided to check out the rear brakes after discovering that the emergency brake pedal would go all the way down before it engaged the brake. I couldn't find an adjustment cable behind the pedal, so I figured the problem was in the rear brakes. I was horrified to see that it appeared that the back brakes never worked! Not only were the wheel cylinders dirty and full of rust, one of the drums had bad grooves in it. Anyways, I decided to install both wheel cylinders, shoes, master cylinder, and resurface the drum. When it came time to bleed them, I couldn't! Fluid was not pumping out to the back brakes. After some research, I began to suspect the Rear Anti-lock Brake valve (RABS). I took it out and examined it. It was a little dirty, but not too bad. I cleaned it and installed it again. This time around, I bled that RABS too. No fluid came out of the valve! How can I make sure if its the valve? Also, do I need to have the ignition ON when i bleed the system? Is it a good idea to simply bypass this valve all together and just run the lines from the master cylinder directly to my back wheels? Thanks!|||I would suspect that you have a bad master cyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment