Friday, December 2, 2011

What does this mean? Should I be worried?

My car panel light's been on for two days. It says, "anti-lock braking system". It hasn't been raining. When I step on the brake to slow down or stop, I could hear a kind of a scraping sound from the bottom front of the car. Is this something I should be worried about or is it something minor so that I can wait until I get my oil changed in one month, and then ask about it at that time? Am I at risk for losing my brakes? Is it merely the light sticking on the panel behind my steering wheel? Can I wait one month before getting it checked out? If it is something to be fixed, what would the approximate cost be?|||You are dealing with your BRAKES! this is nothing to stall around about.


The "Anti-lock" isn't that much of a safety issue. That indicator is telling you that the car's computer has identified a problem in the anti-lock circuit, and as a result has disabled the anti-lock feature. Your brakes however will function just fine. You just don't have the anti-lock.


The noise however IS important. You should have this inspected and corrected immediately. Not only your life and well-being is at risk, but good citizenship demands you look out after others as well.


Have it looked at, and if it is minor, and can be driven with little or no risk of failure, good.





Please be careful





Good Luck|||Sorry about the typo. The total tab will be $972.00! But, better safe than sorry! At least I have PEACE OF MIND now!

Report Abuse


|||you might want to stop driving until you get it checked out. carpool or catch a cab or bus|||sounds like you need some brakes. I would not wait, if it harms your antilock brake system, you could be in for big $'s. I'd rather waste an early oil change personally|||It is a sign that the ABS system has a fault, If you are hearing a noise with the light then yes I would get it checked out ASAP. Take it to a dealer or a very good auto shop. Possiable that a sensor is bad or brakes could be metal to metal and metal shavings get on the sensors and set the light.|||Don't know the cost, but it's better then the cost of life. I suggest you get it checked by a authrised car service compony.|||Better safe than sorry get checked|||"Scraping sound"


Don't wait to get this looked at if you plan to continue to drive the vehicle. It sounds like you have used up the brake pads and are now metal to metal. Get a brake technician to look at it before you have a mishap. Brake repairs are cheap. Medical bills are not.


Good Luck|||It sounds like worn out brake pads. Get it looked at right away.|||Scraping sound or more like a buzzing sound when you apply the brake? If it is a buzzing sound you are okay the ABS unit is just trying to kick in!! If it is more of a scraping noise then have it checked out!!! That is one most important thing that you don't screw around with on a car is the BRAKES!!! Good luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment