Wednesday, November 30, 2011

2001 Dodge Stratus SE - brake problems. (Answer only if you have actual knowledge or experience with repairs)?

My 2001 Dodge Stratus SE 2.4L (4-cylinder) has approx. 75,000 miles. The brake pedal "pulsates wildly" when i apply the brakes while traveling between 45-55 MPH, and is only slightly noticeable when braking at at lower speeds below 25 MPH. The pulsating brake pedal problem started about 2 months ago, and i have since replaced the front brake pads with new premium brake rotors, but the pulsating brake pedal problem still persist. My new tires are less than 1 year old with less than 10,000 milest, and has no abnormal wear. There are no alignment problems with the car. The mechanic who had changed the brake pads and rotors don't know what's wrong . A 2nd mechanic thinks the ABS could be malfunctioning. Before i take my life savings to the local dealership that charges $135 for diagnostic and $120/hour for servicing, has anyone experienced similar problems or know for certain the symptoms is a bad ABS (Anti-lock Brake System). Is there anyway i can disconnect the ABS myself?|||I've done most of my own maintenance for over 40 years. I am not a professional just a good shade tree mechanic. If this was my car I would do two things before I started spending a ton of money.





First, I would disable the ABS. You may need a book on the car for this but the brakes have a fail safe mode of standard non-abs function so you should be able to pull a fuse or disconnect a cable and still operated the car in safety. If the problem goes away you have your answer, the ABS is broken. If it doesn't go away, i.e. it keeps pulsing then we got to the second thing.





Second, I would have a good brake man check the rotors for any warping or run-out. If the rotors have high and low places on them it will cause all manner of squirrely operation. If this is the problem a resurfacing of the rotors will probably cure your problem.





Good luck, I have a very mild case of the same thing in a Buick but I know it is a rotor problem that will get fixed in the next few weeks. As soon as the bank account will allow it.|||Wow! That's odd. There isn't anything else in the system. I take email at my profile. I would sure like to hear what they finally find.


Good luck to you.

Report Abuse


|||Sounds like you have a warped rotor. You should be able to locate the fuse panel and remove the ABS fuse, which should disable the circuit. Then drive it and see if the pulsating pedal is still there, if it is you have a mechanical issue. If not, your ABS module is malfunctioning. I've seen similar symptoms on 2 Dodges I've owned - 98 Avenger and 00 Stratus. Mostly because the rotors are undersized (in my opinion) and don't dissipate the heat well enough, and my wife has a heavy foot on the brake pedal.|||OK, first of all, if this problem happened after you have changed the rotors then must replace them again. Now, if this problem from before what you need to do is, check you tires for bombs (car has to be in the air and spin the tires and look at the bottom of the tire for anything unusual). then check the rear drums or rotors they might be out of shape. 20 years in business 8 out of 10 rotors or drums 2 out of 10 tires (even if new). here is my shop # (516)285-9219 ray|||sounds much like the ABS system malfunctioning. May be a cheap fix, or the whole system could need replaced

No comments:

Post a Comment