Thursday, November 24, 2011

Anti-lock Brakes problem!?

I drive a 1997 Chevrolet Suburban. The Anti-Lock Brake system in this thing is so screwed up. If I'm going a good speed such as 55 or something like that, everything is fine and the brakes work the way they should. But if I'm going through a town at like 25 or slower, the damn system kicks in and stops the suburban SUDDENLY, nearly putting my face into the steering wheel (for some reason the seat belt won't catch me most of the time.) The brakes squeak very loudly also. Basically.. what should I do? Have the brakes replaced? Can I turn the Anti-Lock Brakes off? If so, how can I? Or can the whole system be replaced along with the brakes? How much would that generally cost? OR is this normal? (I sure hope not.) So many questions, I'm just so lost about this whole thing. Thanks to any help you car smart people can give me!|||I had a chevy blazer that did the same thing. It was where the brake fluid goes into the ABS box, theres a piston in there that was malfunctioning causing the brakes to kick in or push the pedal back up and not stop. So I just unplugged the power to the ABS box. It fixed the problem, but I didn't have anti lock brakes anymore. Understand this was years ago when I was younger and didn't have the money to properly fix it. But I did take it to a certified chevy dealer, %26amp; because it didn't read a code, they drove it and said there was nothing wrong with it. But they gladly took my money.

Here's a link below on ebay that might be for your truck, that was wrong with mine. Hope this helps, this is a common problem with 90's gm %26amp; chevy cars and trucks. My friend had a 90's grand am with the same problem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-CHE鈥?/a>|||Doesn't sound like antilock problems. Antilock brings the vehicle to a safe stop by pulsating the brakes at a rapid rate. Braking distance can be shortened by controlling the wheels from sliding. Have your vehicle inspected. But for god sake dont go to JUST BRAKES. They're a rip off. May need new rotors, pads, and brake system bled to remove air from the system to balance the braking of the vehicle. Contaminated rotor surfaces and pad surfaces can also cause grabbing at slow speeds. This could be from a leaking brale line or bad bearing seal.|||I'm pretty sure the ABS module (a seperate computer for just the abs) needs to be replaced. Its a somewhat common problem that surfaces. You can get rebuilt units off the internet, search Module Master. The brakes squeaking is a seperate issue, best to have new rotors and pads installed.|||you have a bad front abs sensor....it is the whole hub bearing assy.. I have replaced many for this same problem. 3-400. bucks installed...FIRST HAVE ALL YOUR BRAKE SYSTEM CHECKED BY A PRO...then.you can disable the abs system by unhooking one of the sensors and it will put it in abs default and your light will stay on..you will no longer have abs or the problem you are describing you will just have normal regular braking like the old days|||Like someone else said, it's NOT the ABS.


Your brakes are in need of servicing.


They're probably worn completely out and your ruining your rotors and possibly your calipers if you keep driving.





Do you remember the last time you had your brake pads replaced?|||sounds like you should get some new brakes, maybe the rotors turned too. I would get the brake system bleed out and go from there. Normally, you can go in to any shop that deals with brakes and the prices vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment