Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Anti-lock break system?

I had my brakes relplaced. Before that day I had no problems.Car is 2001 Ford Explorer. 1st time I drove the SUV after the new brakes were installed I could feel a jerking and tapping in the brake peddle and the steering wheel as I applied the brakes. I disreguarded it as because they were new, and maybe just tight and need "broke in". Weeks later it was still happening, I took it back to the garage who did the work. They rechecked everything, said there was no problem with the work or installtion they performed. He suggested it may be the ABS, but said he got 'no codes' indicating what the problem could be. Then suggested I take it to the ford dealership. The brakes have not failed to stop me, but I slide to a stop every time I to stop. No difference if I go fast , slow, stop quickly or slowly. Any ideas on what the problem? Noticing pulling to the right, I am wondering if it is out of line , would that create the problem I am having? ABS alert light is not on. more info? email me|||There is something wrong with the brakes. Either the shop didn't do the job right or used the wrong parts. If the vehicle was still sliding when you took it back to them after they did the job and it wasn't doing it beforehand then it's their fault. If the front wheel is skidding when you stop then it may not have anything to do with the ABS as your truck may only have rear wheel ABS. I would take it to another shop and have them check it out. Call around, some shops offer free brake inspections, and try to get an ASE certified tech to look at it. (The name of the tech who looked at it should be on the ticket look for their cert. on the wall if you were told an ASE tech looked at it most shops display the certs. for customers to see.) The pulling is probably from whatever is causing it to skid not causing the skid.|||The new brakes may be much more efficient than the older brakes. The higher efficiency may be forcing the ABS to come on because the car's momentum (on a huge SUV with tiny under-designed Ford disks) wants to make it keep going while the brakes are trying to stop the tires. If you apply the brakes very lightly and it feels fine, the jerking is because you're using the brakes too hard. Brake earlier and brake more gently -- see if that does it. I experienced the same on a car except I didn't have ABS -- the tires just lock up in that case... but this was after installing giant discs w/ amazing pads. Also, what did they change? If it's something as small as the pads, I doubt there could be something wrong with it. If you're still bothered, have them ride in the car with you so they can see for themselves. Also, check your discs (the shiny metal disc that you can see when looking at the wheel)... if there's any awkward grooves and they're not nice and smooth, there's an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment