Thursday, November 24, 2011

Car light saying "anti-lock brake"...?

I have a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.


For the past month, a light on the dash board says " ABS-anti-lock brake".


I got it checked out by the dealership, who said it's probably the anti-lock brake system failing, but wasn't completely sure(charged me 60 bucks to be not completely sure!). THey did diagnostics, and found out that something with the guage that detects the speed is going bad(but said that probably wasn't the reason why the light was on.).


I just got brakes out on in November, so I know that it's not actually my brakes themselves going bad.


Will my car be okay? Should I get a second opinion, or just leave it be? If it actually is my anti-lock brake, would it be worth it to fix it? I'm considering just buying another car with next years tax return, but I just want to make sure it will last until then.


I've already paid the same amount I paid for the car to repair the car, and I really can't afford for anything else to be wrong with it now.


Help,please!


Mama JK|||Might sound stupid but give it a go.


There should be a fuse somewhere for your ABS on your vehicles fuse box.


My ABS was playing up so I took out the fuse and the light comes on. Unfortunately I don't have ABS any more but my braking seems to be just as good as when my ABS was working.


Best of luck.|||btw, pedro had a horrible answer. I thought I could work through my ABS light on and I couldn't. Now my brakes don't have any pressure whatsoever (i.e. I can't stop!) and I could have gotten in an accident. I might check out the fuse idea, though - got an appt with the dealer Monday morning too :(

Report Abuse


|||dealer sounds like a bunch of idiots..the computer scan shows which wheel speed sensor is bad...i had trouble with mine...i replaced one for 100 dollars..it went bad..another 100 a third one went so i put a piece of black tape over the light...no lite no problem...i hate the ABS anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment