Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What happens if accidently I gave false information to my car insurance during the application process?

I was under the impression that my 2003 car had ABS (anti lock braking system) because my car dealer told me so, I bought it used. Accordingly during the online application for my car insurance I said that my car has an ABS System. Pretty soon after that I discovered that my car does not have such a system. I would like to inform my insurance because I do not want to have problems in case there is an accident. But will they cancel my insurance if I tell them the truth?|||Just let them know, it doesn't have ABS and they'll update the policy. If you didn't tell them and you file a claim they could (but I doubt they would) deny the claim. So it is important, but no, they won't cancel the policy.|||I agree that you can now call them and let them know you have "new" information about your vehicle. If you live in the US, the insurance company will know whether the car has the ABS by the VIN number but for your own peace of mind, call them.|||they will not cancel your policy. the rate may go up a tad bit, but not much. there would only be a problem if you knowingly made false statements on the application|||No. It's an honest mistake. If you received some sort of antilock brake discount, you'll lose that.|||Call the company and let them know.|||There is no reason for them to cancel your policy. They may raise the premium a shade, but that's it.





You need to contact them ASAP, because if you get in an accident, they could refuse to pay out.|||Mistakes happen. They will be much more likely to believe it is an honest mistake if you tell them about it BEFORE you have an accident.|||No, they will not cancel your insurance....however if they find out you discovered the truth but never told them...there could be a problem. So...call up the company and tell them you made a mistake.





You sign a paper when you purchased your insurance indicating that you told the truth to the best of your ability. You didn't know that the car didn't have ABS...you were told that it did. So you told the truth to the best of your knowledge. So they will not cancel you when you call them to tell them you made a mistake.





Most likely they will just remove the credit for having ABS.





Usually the when they run the vin number it comes up with that information though...so you may already not be getting the credit for it...but call them either way or check your policy to see if you are getting credit or not...|||Contact them and explain. No big deal. Do it soon, before you have a 'problem'. Like stated above, the insurance company could hose you and refuse to pay your claim.|||Once again the need for a LOCAL agent...I noticed that you said "during the online application for my car insurance".





If it would have happened in MY agency, our VIN checking software would have probably caught the mistake and charged you accordingly from the start.





Just go back on line to service your policy or try to call their 800 number if you can find one and call it to see if you can talk to a live person that will make the correction for you - if they know how to do that....





Good luck and I hope this helps!|||No, they will not cancel you policy, especially for being honest with them. They will make the necessary changes and adjust your premiums if you were receiving a discount for ABS|||I can tell you what will happen if you discovered you have made an error in your information, and don't correct it.





If you are caught committing or attempting to commit insurance fraud:





Your claim will be denied.


Your insurance policy may be cancelled outright.


You may pay higher premiums in the future.


You may be denied insurance in the future.


More importantly, the offence is punishable, on conviction, by a maximum of 10 years' imprisonment for cases involving an amount over $5,000 or otherwise a maximum of 2 years' imprisonment.

No comments:

Post a Comment